Last week, we touched on the idea of a “Blessings Journal” in observation of this “Thanksgiving Month.” We’ve all heard about the whole “attitude of gratitude” thing… but we also understand “gratitude” may not always come easily. And while the idea of keeping such a journal may sound good, some days just FINDING anything to be grateful for can prove quite challenging!
As we learned, I have an extremely low “thrill threshold” – it takes VERY little to bring me joy. But this was not always the case! Sadly, although I thought of myself as an optimist, nonetheless I could – at my BEST – for years be described as a “grumbler.” I could “nit pick” with the BEST of them, ALWAYS find something to complain about, be among the FIRST to find fault. Despite an “above-average” IQ, I was pretty “slow” to catch on… if you focus on what SUCKS in your life, it’s a sure-fire guarantee you will CONTINUE to only see what’s wrong! DUH!!!
See, I had to find my own way to adjust my field of vision. We EACH have to find the “switch” in our own brain, to “turn on” that attitude of gratitude. Some find inspiration in motivational quotes, others in the Bible, and folks like me may have humor “triggers.” Regardless of how your brain may be wired, we’ve put together some “gratitude platitudes” to possibly jump-start a more positive attitude for YOU today!
- “Gratitude turns what we have into enough.” ~ Unknown
- “God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used ONE to say ‘thank you’?” ~ William A. Ward
- “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” ~ G.K. Chesterton
- “If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.” ~ Frank A. Clark
- “The unthankful heart… discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
- “Grace isn’t a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It’s a way to live.” ~ Jacqueline Winspear
- “If you count all your assets, you always show a profit.” ~ Robert Quillen
- “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has NOT, but rejoices for those which he HAS.” ~ Epictetus
- “Not what we SAY about our blessings, but HOW we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” ~ W.T. Purkiser
- “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” ~ Thornton Wilder
- “Two kinds of gratitude: The sudden kind we feel for what we take; the larger kind we feel for what we give.” ~ Edwin Arlington Robinson
- “The struggle ENDS when the gratitude BEGINS.” ~ Neale Donald Walsch
As you can see, this idea of expressing gratitude transcends any particular time or place… dating back, literally, to ancient times. And this includes the ULTIMATE “ancient text” – the Bible! As children of God, we have an infinite number of reasons and calls to be thankful and grateful!
- “Enter His gates with thanksgiving And His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name.” (Psalm 100:4)
- “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.” (Colossians 3:15)
- “…in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” (I Thessalonians 5:18)
- “Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe” (Hebrews 12:28)
And, when all else fails, I find hope and gratitude in the simplicity of those childhood sages, Mister Rogers, Dr. Seuss and Kermit The Frog! Truthfully, WHO could frown in the face of their whimsical, yet homespun, wisdom?
While Kermit lamented “it’s not easy being green,” he STILL found reasons to be grateful:
“A List Of Good Things About Being A Frog”
- Being green
- Sitting in the sun on a lily pad
- Having thousands of brothers and sisters
- Going to the hop
- Playing leapfrog
- Having bears and pigs and dogs and chickens as your friends
- Getting kissed by princesses hoping to turn you into a handsome prince
If Kermit doesn’t do it for you, consider THIS tidbit from Mister Rogers…
“Imagine what our real neighborhoods would be like if each of us offered, as a matter or course, just ONE kind word to another person!” ~ Mister Rogers
This alone demonstrates, from a very early age, we can cultivate that “attitude of gratitude.” And, if you’ve passed those “wonder years” don’t despair – it’s NEVER too late to realign your focus! Sometimes we all need a little help to “look on the bright side” and you will find that assistance right in our social media communities on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Visit us right now, inspire someone and share what YOU’RE grateful for today!